Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Was the writer’s strike a blessing in disguise?

Was the writer’s strike a blessing in disguise?

As I sat down and looked through my depleted shows on my most coveted possession the “DVR,” I was wondering how I possibly made it through the winter season without new shows, and how I was going to make it through March with just the few shows that are left on the air.  I admit I had a tiny panic attack, but it was all okay, when I finally found the shows that have been saving me from complete boredom.  These shows are not glamorous and ritzy.  They don’t have huge stars appearing weekly.  Yet when I watch them I am completely engulfed and nothing can pull my attention away.  “What are they?”  You ask.  Well I’ll tell you.  They are programs on the Discovery networks, History Channels, National Geographic Channels, and even more surprising to me personally, is coverage of the Presidential Primaries.

Did the Writer’s Strike possibly save the Presidential Campaigns?  I believe in a way yes it did.  Without anything to watch on primetime, young people are tuning in and actually paying attention to what is going with their country.  It couldn’t have come a more pivotal time.  We are getting ready wave goodbye to president who seemed to have no handle on what was going on in the world, let alone his own country, and now we have a few extremely strong candidates who claim they can heal the nation with various stances on a wide variety of topics.  I think the young and old alike are more prepared and have more knowledge about their candidates and their views than ever before.  Even the celebrities figured out that, with the strike, the best way to get on television and on the front of magazines again is to support the only thing on, the elections.  Hopefully it will be a win/win situation for the future, the writer’s will be getting what they deserve for their hard work in entertaining us week in and week out, and more importantly the youth in this country will realize how important keeping up on world politics’ is and how important a single vote is for their future.  Like my mom always said, “If you don’t go out there and vote then you have no right to complain when something goes wrong!”

No comments: